Visas and residence permits are important part of your visit to Vienna (and Austria), or for moving and settling down over here. Here is some guidance about this topic.

Austria is member of Schengen countries and Schengen visas of Type C issued to enter Austria are valid for other countries from the group. Other visas have specific purpose and they are applicable for Austria only, not the rest of Schengen countries.

Here is the list of countries under Schengen Visa Agreement: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and also non-EU members: Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Types of visas

No Visa (visa free) entry to Austria

Citizens of European Union countries don’t require visa to enter Austria and are free to stay up to 90 days without registration. After the period of 90 days, they are required to apply for residence permit and register themselves as residents.

Citizens of USA, UK (currently on the way out from the EU), Australia and Canada are also exempted from visa regime, but must have return tickets when entering Austria.

In addition to countries listed above, these are the countries that have visa free travel to Austria for up to 90 days within 180 days period: Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominica, El Salvador, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Holy See (Vatican State City), Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Kiribati, Macao, Malaysia, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Monaco, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Palau, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, Uruguay, Vanuatu and Venezuela.

Visa free entry is for tourism purposes and it doesn’t allow visitors to start working in Austria as they will need to obtain work permit for that. Only citizens of the EU are allowed to seek and obtain the employment in Austria, the same way they would do in their home country.

A Visa: Transit Visa

This visa is issued in special cases, when travelers are just passing through Austria airports on the way to their final destination. Usually this visa is not required for most travelers, but it is required for citizens from following countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar/Burma, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Syria and Turkey

C Visa: Travel Visa

This is most common visa required for tourism visits and it is issued as Schengen visa, so it is valid to other Schengen countries. Application for this visa is done at the Austrian embassy or a consulate in the country of origin. The cost is 80 Euro ($95) and it is valid for a stay of up to 90 days within period of 180 days.

Countries that require this type of visas are:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, China, Comoros, Congo, Cote d’Ivoire, Cuba, Congo, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jamaica, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Northern Mariana’s, Oman, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe.

D Visa: Residence Visa

This type of visa is being issued if person needs to stay for more than 90 days and up to 6 months (exceptionally a year). Although you can use this visa to move freely throughout Schengen area, for purposes of stay in Austrian territory (in case of extension), this visa needs to be granted by Austrian authorities within Schengen zone (a consulate or an embassy).

Other types of visas for short stay

There are several variations or sub-types of visa that are issued for specific purpose of your travel to Austria. These are:

Visitor Visa – to visit friends or family members already residing in Austria.

Business Visa – to attend business-related activities in Austria.

Official Visit Visa – for official delegations coming from countries that require visa.

Medical Visa – for people seeking medical treatment in Austria with medical referrals.

Study Visa – for students that attending a course for up to three months at an educational institution in Austria.

Visa for Cultural, Sports and Film Crews – for citizens of countries requiring visa who need to participate in these activities.

Visas and residence permits
Visas and residence permits – not that simple as it seams

Residence permits

Depending on your country of origin, there are different rules applied to your residence in Austria. If you are citizen of the EU country, you are free to stay for up to 90 days in Austria and then you are required to apply for residence permit. EU citizens need to apply for Residence Registration (Meldezettel) and for Certificate of Registration (Anmeldebescheinigung).

Registration requires valid passport/national ID, proof of sufficient means of support and medical insurance.

For non-EU countries, application for residence is usually linked to work permit through one of the government programs to bring skilled workers. Otherwise, residence permit is issued for people who want to relocate to Austria for various reasons: retirement, registering children in Austrian schools, starting a business, etc.

Citizens from non-EU countries are required to apply for residence if they are planning to stay for more than 180 day in Austria for whatever reason (work, study, retirement, etc).


For non-EU citizens who want to live and work in Austria, so called red-white-red card is issued to cover their residence in the country. This is designed for qualified workers who would like to come to Austria from these categories:

  • Very Highly Qualified Workers
  • Skilled Workers in Shortage Occupations
  • Other Key Workers
  • Graduates of Austrian Universities and Colleges of Higher Education
  • Self-employed Key Workers
  • Start-up Founders

This residence is valid for 24 months and it is issued in relation to specific job position.

Details on applying for this residence (and work permit) are found here.


This is augmented version of the card as it allows non-EU nationals to freely seek job and not be limited to one employer. This card is also issued to family members who are accompanying applicant to Austria.

EU Blue card

This is special permit to work and reside in Austria if you, as a non-EU national fulfil several conditions:

  • You have completed a course of study at a university or other tertiary educational institution with a minimum duration of three years,
  • You have received a binding job offer for at least one year in Austria in the area of your education,
  • You will earn a gross annual income of at least one and a half times the average gross annual income of full-time job (at least € 63,672),
  • There is no equally qualified worker registered as a jobseeker with the Public Employment Service (AMS) available for the job.

More information about EU Blue Card and application process you can find here.


Applying for visas and residence permits in Austria should be easy and there are lots of online resources provided by the Austrian government. We will update our readers about entire process when we complete few of these steps ourselves and give you actual first hand information and tips. Stay tuned.

Safe travels and see you soon!

You may also like...


  1. We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.

    Your site provided us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done an impressive
    job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

  2. Hi there this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you
    have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

  3. Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this website on a
    regular basis, this site is in fact fastidious
    and the users are really sharing pleasant thoughts.

  4. This is very interesting, You are a very skilled
    blogger. I have joined your rss feed and look forward to
    seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I have shared your web
    site in my social networks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *